Insurance is a financial safety net. The right coverage will speed up the recovery process.
The 2022 Survey of Albertans shows only 43% of Albertans have adequate insurance and 40% have an emergency fund.
Being financially prepared is about more than just having money in the bank.
- Learn the difference between insurable and non-insurable disaster
- Talk to your insurance provider to ensure you have adequate insurance
- Keep a detailed list of all property, including photos, in case you must file a claim
- Keep cash on hand
- If possible, create an emergency savings account to cover expenses during an emergency
- Know what type of assistance your insurance policy provides and how to claim if needed
- Know the steps for making a home insurance claim
BE PREPARED TIP: The Government of Alberta's disaster recovery program may be an option for recovery after a disaster but should be considered a last resort. It does not cover all types of damage, loss or the full cost of replacement. Visit Disaster Recovery Program to learn more.