A Wild Boar Program has been developed by Alberta's government to help get rid of the wild boars and the devastation they can cause to the environment, crops and livestock.
- The Whole Sounder Trapping Incentive Program began April 1 and runs until March 31, 2024.
- Government-approved trappers will be compensated $75 per set of ears per sounder, encouraging the elimination of entire sounders.
- Landowners who work with approved trappers are eligible for $75 per set of ears.
- The Wild Boar at-Large Ear Bounty program began April 1 and runs until March 31, 2023.
- Hunters who turn in wild boar ears will receive $75 per set.
- Both programs will be administered by participating municipalities, which will be listed on alberta.ca.
- Wild boar at large have been documented in 28 rural municipalities.
- Listed as a pest under Alberta’s Pest and Nuisance Control Regulation, wild boar at large can cause damage to crops and property, endanger livestock and people, spread disease and negatively alter the ecosystem.